Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Day a Bottle of Peaches Made Me Cry

As time goes by I have talked less and less about losing Porter on my blog. It's not because I don't think about him.  It's quite the opposite. In fact because of running I am able to think about him more freely while hitting the pavement.  Running allows me to be alone with my thoughts and memories of him and I find a lot of joy in that.  I know that where he is right now is a happy place and he wouldn't want me to be sorrowful for him, but occasionally something happens which triggers my emotions and I lose it.  Today was such a day.

I was trying to get some sort of dinnertime meal planned and was looking in the cupboard.  There is a bottle of canned peaches in there that has been there since Porter's birthday in September.  You see, we celebrate Porter's birthday and deathday even though he isn't physically here with us.  This bottle of peaches was given to us by my mom, Porter's grandma, on his birthday.  You can see it there on the left with a blue bow on top.  Anytime Porter was at their house, which was pretty often, mom would pull out all kinds of food and feed him till his heart was content.  He LOVED eating at grandma's house.  So in rummaging through the cupboard today I came upon this bottle of peaches and I remembered where it came from and who it was for.    
I don't ever want to open this bottle of peaches.  I just want to save them for Porter.  But that is nonsense thinking.  He won't be back to eat them.  Lately, I have been putting canned, cut up peaches in my morning oatmeal and so I will put this bottle in the fridge and start to use them.  Every bowl of oatmeal eaten with these will again remind me of my sweet boy and I will continue to try to be joyful for him and look forward to the day we will eat peaches together! I love you Porter♥




12 comments:

Pedaling said...

I feel your emotion.
I can't even imagine losing my son.

I lost my dad and it is the little things like that that bring us to tears..you never know when it's going to hit.

LL said...

I think the world of you...such a sweet post!

Audrey said...

Isn't it funny how life just goes on and you feel that you totally have a handle on losing someone you love - and then BAM! Some seemingly ordinary item or event jumps out of the blue and knocks your socks off! Every emotion comes thundering back and you hurt just as much as you did when they first died. The good news? Those times don't happen nearly as often as they used too.
It is a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing.
By the way - I think you are INCREDIBLE!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

Beautiful. Hugs!

Heatherlyn said...

<3 Maybe the millennium will come and you'll be able to see him sooner than you think. One day at a time though. Bless you.

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I am with you. We still haven't opened a bottle of pickles my Grandma made and she died 12 yrs ago. Enjoy those peaches and all the memories of your son.
Good luck tonight on your run!

Launi said...

Oh, Susette-
I love you so much. You are kind and gentle and brave and good. What an honor it is for sweet Porter to have a mother like you. You must make him smile every single day. We think of you so much and hold your family in our hearts.

Jerilee E. said...

This made me want to give a virtual hug, so imagine that's what this is! I can't even imagine the emotions and heartache from your loss, but thank you for this beautiful post.

Doran & Jody said...

Sniff!
So sorry!
Enjoy the memories!

katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

I know Porter is always with you, and that he has a very, huge, large, big huge for you someday!

katie said...

hug* (: