Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Mount Nebo Half Marathon-My First Sub 2


I have been looking forward to this half marathon for a little while. In fact I heard about it last year from a friend who trains at the gym. I was fairly new at running still last year and I was a little bit intrigued by their experience running down Payson Canyon. I remember thinking last year how this sounded like something I would probably be signing up for.

I got up super early, 4:15 am and got ready with the usual things a runner does before a race.  I headed down to Payson allowing plenty of time to get on the bus.  The ride up the canyon seemed extremely long.  I think the bus wasn't going any faster than about 10 to 15 mph.  The road was steep and winding.  We arrived at the starting line and stood by large heaters to keep warm.  Only after standing there a few minutes somebody asked what time it was and I was shocked to learn the race was starting in 20 minutes.  So a final pit stop and a quick photo with my friend Monnica and I was ready to go.

This little lady is so fun to hang around.  She's spunky and cheerful and is fast.  Sure wish I could keep up with her.  I quit trying long ago.  But she was awfully sweet to run the entire Salt Lake City Half Marathon with me earlier this year.
Looking at the starting line after putting my jacket in the drop bag and getting my bib pinned on. I also chatted a few minutes with the 2:20 pacer, Angie, whom I told I hope to not ever see her in the race.  Of course she knew what I meant.  This course is fast and I was planning to at least match my previous PR of 2:07 back at the Timpanogos Half Marathon.  This elevation drop was 4000 feet and Timps' was less than that so I was thinking this was a very do-able goal. The race started right on time and we were off.  I was running somewhere with the 2:10 pacer and eventually worked my way up to the 2:05 pacer.  The course was fast and I was LOVING it!  Further down the road I would occasionally see the 2:00 pacer and was trying my darndest to catch her.  Finally at mile 5 at an aid station she stopped and I didn't.  I had my fuel belt on and so I was able to keep going.  From that point on my whole goal was to not let that 2 hour pacer pass me.  I looked back only once and saw her just a little ways back from me.  I found some good peppy music on the ipod and just kept running my little heart out.
The mountains were beautiful with so many vibrant fall colors.  The sunrise was awesome too.  At times there was a little river along the winding mountain road and the morning was absolutely cool, refreshing, and thrilling.  I was having a blast!  As we came out of the canyon to the bottom of the road the course made a quick left turn and followed a road for only a short 1/2 mile and there was the finish line.  I looked at my watch and was soooooo excited to see my garmin not even at 2 hours yet.  I made a final kick to make sure I came in under 2 hours.  I came in with a final 1:57:49!!  I never dreamed this was something I was capable of.  I realize a downhill course makes a huge difference and I will probably never be able to do this again but for now I am estatic and I'll take it and keep it!!  This is one race I will never forget, such great, happy memories!
Sitting on the lawn enjoying a chocolate creamie and stretching some soreness out of my legs.
These medals are huge and beefy.  I really need to find a spot to put my medals besides being all wadded up in a mangled mess in the drawer. 
I thought this shirt was a little odd with a backwards E on it.  It took my good friend Laurie and her daughters to figure out what it says.  Can you tell?  If not look what the lighter colored lettering spells. Pretty genius huh?  I don't usually wear my race shirts unless I am out exercising but you can believe I wore this with pride the day I got my sub 2 half marathon!! I should just stop running half marathons now that I'm ahead........................Nah!!!!!! I'm not done having a good time at this yet.  Will it ever get old?? I hope not.

13 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

Great race!
Great job!
Great shirt!
I LOVE the leaf on it and the colors. So wish I would have done this one just for the shirt!!!

Josh said...

Congrats on the sub-two hour race! That is AWESOME! I really wish I could have ran with you, but I had to get in that 20 mile run before Big Cottonwood!

I am getting really excited about the the marathon! How are you feeling about it?

Christy said...

I stared at the tee for like two solid minutes and came up with nothing. Haha. I really want to know what it says!?

And great job!! That's an amazing time to get. That puts your average pace under 9:00 doesn't it?! Nice job!!

And in response to your comment, I do play the piano! That is neat you teach. I have thought about it, but I have no patience. :] You are a woman of many talents!

susette said...

Oh Christie you make me laugh! The lighter color red spells 13.1. Pretty sweet huh?

Jen said...

Awesome job! That's a really great time! I'm sure that all the half's that you are running are getting you in great shape. Not to mention your marathon training along with it!

Julia said...

you dont give yourself enough credit! you have been working hard and running lots this summer! of course you will run sub 2 again!

Jen@runfortheboys said...

CONGRATS ON YOUR SUB 2!!!!!!!!

Cory Reese said...

I am so impressed! You have become super speedy. It just goes to show how all your hard work has paid off.

Way to go!

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

Good thing I looked at the comments because I too was having a hard time seeing what the lighter colors said. I was thinking in letters not numbers but that is some pretty creative stuff there.
Awesome job on the run!! Sounds like you had a great one and I will have to put this race on my calendar. We need to run a race together. Have you thought about signing up for the Snow Canyon Half on Nov 3rd???? It's down here in St. George......tempting I am sure.

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

dang it I just saw that you are running in Moab that day. There is a secret Hostess Half you can come down and run sometime if it even really exists....

Jerilee E. said...

Congratulations!! Awesome racing! You really are a running machine- definitely need to get a good race medal rack for all your race bling :).

"This is Living" said...

ah haa took me a while but now I see the 13.1. I love that! Great job on the sub 2, for me that would only be in my dreams. Have to tell you I love the self pictures you take while running, I tried last week and need some help lol.

Yo Momma Runs said...

Wow, it took a surprisingly long amount of time for me to figure out what you were talking about with that shirt. But now that I see it, it's awesome! Also, really cool bibs and medal too. I've never seen a bib like that before.

And a giant congrats on a big sub-2! That is such a great feeling!