Saturday, January 28, 2012

Why Someone Said "Go to Hale"

Hale Freezes Over-10K.  Initially when I found out about this race I was all eager to sign up and do it.  Then I just sort of fizzled.  I bought 3 season tickets to the Hale Theater at Christmastime and part of the sign up price for this race included 4 tickets to see a play.  Well, I didn't need more tickets and I was also a little nervous about our unpredictable Utah weather and the possibility of it snowing and not wanting to face that. I thought I would just see how the morning looked and then decide.  Well, I sort of overslept and then I dilly-dallied around the house and didn't get out of here until about 9:40 am.  By the time I finally got out the door and ran to the Hale Theater the race had already started and all of the runners were gone.  I was too late to sign up even if I wanted to.  I decided to just go ahead and keep running anyway.  I had already clocked almost 2 and 1/2 miles so I just continued running.  Further on down the road I heard one of the volunteers who was directing people in which way to go shouted out "Go to Hale".  I thought that was kind of funny and it actually made me laugh out loud. I then headed off into another direction and finished my own course (10K), heading to the local grocery store for a bathroom break and water.  I headed on up to my neighborhood and was feeling pretty good.  I continued to run up and down different streets in my part of  town and then eventually headed for home.  My total mileage ended up being 11 miles running and 1/2 mile walking. It was truly a gorgeous winter morning for an exhilarating run.

I've had my nose in a running book of some sort ever since I started this running journey a little over a year ago.  Well, one thing that I've read multiple times is the importance of an ice bath for quick muscle recovery after a long run.  Well, today I decided to try it.  I nearly froze my patootie off sitting in that bathtub for 20 minutes in ice cold water and ice cubes!!! Aye, yi, yi!!!  Now I will just have to wait and see if it actually helped.  I know it took me a good hour to finally warm up and that was even after a hot shower!
(not my bathtub but you get the idea)
I'm looking forward to my next race in two weeks.  I will be running a half marathon at the Utah Olympic Oval.  It's the same place I ran the New Year's Revolution Run in December.  I would be so happy if anybody wants to join me.  Sometimes this running life can be a bit lonely.

2 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

Sounds fun Miss SHEra!
You have so far passed me I will never catch up.

Momma Twitch said...

The weather was great for Hale Freezes over. I'm glad you were able to get your run in anyway. :)

I thought about doing that half at the Oval, it looks like fun. I totally hear ya on running being lonely sometimes. It's not easy doing it alone sometimes.