Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thanksgiving Morning Run and Thanksgiving Feast

My Thanksgiving morning started out with a planned run up the Provo Canyon Trail with a group of Runner's Anonymous Facebook friends.  We started with 7 of us but 2 of them wanted to start at the top and run down while the 5 of us had other plans.  Brad and Cindy Hills were going to run 1 hour and then turn around and go back.  Monnica was going to run 6 miles to the turn around spot and then drive back to the start.  Gay was planning to do the same thing.  I personally wanted to run the whole thing because I wanted to be able to just enjoy my Thanksgiving feast without worrying about calories consumed.
Brad, Cindy, Monnica, Gay, (in back) and me
It was a very brisk morning and I was thankful I didn't ditch my gloves.  I started with the group but I had just finished my 10 day antibiotic and was just finally feeling better.  If I wanted to push it I really don't think I could have.  I was just grateful to be out there.  I ran along with the group for maybe a mile or two.  I lost track because we were all enjoying some great conversation.  But then I could tell I just wasn't going to be able to maintain the pace and so I slowed down.  Gay was so nice to hang back with me and was just happy to be out running too and not worried about her pace.  I felt so lucky to get to run and chat with her and just get to know her a little more.  I had run with her a couple months back in Draper Trails but didn't talk one-on-one like I got to today.  It really made the miles fly by faster.   
Brad and Cindy did their hour and turned around with Monnica and found us a little ways back on the trail.  Then Monnica joined us as we continued up the canyon.  When we reached the 6 mile mark Gay had some pretty delicious apple cider with cloves in it in her vehicle that she shared with us.  YUMMY!  That was a super delightful treat!  Monnica and Gay then got in their vehicle and I said good-bye and ventured back down the canyon all on my own.
I just pulled out my music and turned on the Christmas tunes and had an absolutely fabulous run for the next 6 miles all by myself.
Seeing Bridal Veil Falls never gets old.  I got to run right by this.  When I got back to my car Mark was there waiting, but only because I had locked my keys in the car and he had to come rescue me.  He is such a good guy!  I drove on home and then decided that I wanted to be able to say that I did a half marathon on Thanksgiving Day.  So I headed out on the streets in my neighborhood and got myself another 1.10 miles in.  Yes, us runners are kind of weird about the numbers sometimes.  This was definitely one of my slower half marathons but that's alright.  2:45:10.  I think my watch told me I burned over 2000 calories.  I'll take it!
After a shower and rounding up the Thanksgiving food we had prepared we headed over to our church and had a big feast with about 35 family members on Mark's side of the family.  It was nice to see some family that we haven't seen for quite awhile.  Mark's mother in purple looks so good for being over 80 years old.  She's just as sweet as they come.
Rachelle and Bear Fisher
Shayna, Cole, and Cameron Henke
Time to dig in!
Kali and Harper with Grandma Fisher
Back in September Kali told me that her hubby Wade didn't really know the Fisher side very well and so we decided we needed to change that.  That's when we started organizing this get together and I invited my parents too, not really knowing if they had plans or not yet.  She agreed to come and bring my dad.  I was so grateful because she loves to decorate and she did a fabulous job on the tables working her magic.  Here Cooper is helping to take it all down after we are done eating.  Silly me, I should have taken a picture before they started the clean up.
This cute little baby Harper is just so precious and I just can't get enough of her sweetness. She's only 3 1/2 weeks old here.
Wade, Miles, Kali, and Harper
It's getting harder to get Miles to cooperate in pictures.  He just wanted to run and play!
It was a great Thanksgiving with so much good food and family togetherness, exactly what a Thanksgiving should be like.  Afterwards we went home and I didn't look at one single Black Friday ad.  I had no desire whatsoever to go out in the crowds.  I've been there and done that and was happy to stay home where it's cozy and warm.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love that stretch of trail. I've only walked it (not run) but it's so gorgeous any time of year.

Speaking of gorgeous, Baby Harper is certainly that! How fun to have another sweet baby in your family!

Looks like Thanksgiving was overflowing with family for you. I'm so glad.

Michael said...

Wow, looks like a truly wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jenny Lynn said...

Great idea to burn calories before eating a big dinner. Looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Harper is adorable!

Unknown said...

What a great way to start a great day. I think you should make it a tradition to run a half marathon every Thanksgiving! I'm looking forward to being able to run more then 3 1/2 miles. :)

Will Cooper said...

that is some food in those pics! love the holidays!

Yo Momma Runs said...

Now that is some family Thanksgiving. What a great group! And very cool that you pulled off 13.1 before all of that. That's a great way to build a solid t-day appetite.:)

Jerilee E. said...

The morning run looks like it was gorgeous! Wish I could have joined you.
That looks like the way to do Thanksgiving! I found myself feeling very hungry :). Your new granddaughter is beautiful!