Sunday, July 15, 2012

Marathon Training Plan-Week 6 of 16

Week #6
Monday July 9th-Ran 5 Miles
Sometimes I run on the treadmill, sometimes in the hills on the trails, sometimes on the grass, sometimes at the track and sometimes on the road.  So, I vary my surfaces that I run on but I haven't really varied my speed.  Every once in awhile I've tried to just go a little faster in between songs on the ipod just to get to my destination a little quicker but I've never really followed any speed work plans.  I'm an avid Runner's World reader and am very intrigued by speed but I guess I've just been too lazy to try it.  Well, a couple of days ago a certain speed work-out piqued my interest and seemed very basic and doable for me and so I decided to give it a try today.  It goes like this:  Run 10 minutes easy run, warm up. Then run 10 strides fast with each time your right foot hits as counting as 1 stride and then do 10 strides recovery, then increase to 20 strides fast/20 strides recovery, then 30 strides fast/30 strides recovery etc. increasing by 10 all the way up to 100 strides fast/100 strides recovery and then continue going backwards at 90 strides fast/90 strides recovery, 80 strides fast/80 strides recovery, all the way back down to 10.  Well, I did it and it actually was fun to have something to keep my brain busy while the miles went by.  I ran a mile to the local jr. high track and then did this speed work out which took me exactly 2.33 miles to accomplish and then ran on home with a few extra laps at the park to get in a full 5 miles today.  This is definitely something I will be trying again.  I don't know if it will make me faster but it was fun to push myself a little bit and keep my brain engaged!  Also when I got home I did 40 sit-ups and 20 woman's push-ups (can't do man push-ups)
Tuesday July 10th-Walked 6 Miles
Did a few laps around the park and then met up with my friend for a few miles and then back to the park for a few more laps.
Wednesday July 11th-Ran 5 Miles and Walked .50 Mile
on the treadmill while watching Bachelorette. I'm really hoping Emily is most in love with Jef but my guess is she'll end up picking Ari. We will be finding out soon. After my run I also did 40 sit-ups and 20 push-ups. 
Thursday July 12th-Ran 4 Miles and Walked .25 Mile 
Last night I babysat my grandson Miles until a little after midnight and by the time I got home to bed I didn't get to sleep until about 1:00 am so getting up early for my run wasn't happening. Can I just say how much I dislike doing my workout in the evening?  I also have grown to really dislike the treadmill too.  The more I use it the more I hate it.  I'm really looking forward to some cooler temps as well so that running outside will be a little more bearable.
Friday July 13th-Walked 4 Miles
Got an earlier than usual start to walk with Laurie. Me and the hubs are heading to Bryce Canyon and I needed to get packed and ready to go.  I will be running the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon on Saturday and am looking forward to a beautiful setting to run in.  A little vacation never hurts either.
Saturday July 14th-Ran 13.10 Miles at the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon  Not a great race for me this time but I did it. Race recap coming soon.  After a much needed nap Mark and I headed off for some hiking and got in 2.50 Miles in Red Canyon
Sunday July 15th-4.75 Miles
Hiked with the hubby in the Panguitch Lake area and found a beautiful little lake in the mountains called Blue Springs.
 Total Running Miles: 27
Total Walking Miles: 13
Total hiking Miles: 7.25

6 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

you are amazing. I have barely walked a total of 5 miles for the week. Guess that is a start.

Julia said...

wow!!! you were able to enjoy some gorgeous views this weekend!!! and you really had a great week of well rounded workouts. you are preparing so perfectly for your marathon! im super excited for you! i agree about speed work...its fun to mix it up:)

Amy said...

Hi! My name is Amy. I found your blog when I did a search for Big Cottonwood Marathon! I am also planning on running it and it will be my first as well! I'm really enjoying reading your blog and seeing what someone else is doing for training. I mostly run alone so its nice to compare everything. You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your blog. I can add you to mine if you want to send me your email address-- although my blog isn't really about running.

Thank & good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Yay, you did speedwork! We do it every Tuesday and it really does make the miles go by faster (literally!)

wendy said...

YOU rock...that's about All I can say

Gina Horkey said...

Look forward to following your marathon training...in response to your question on my blog; it's scheduled for October 21st. I also don't consider myself speedy, but hope to get speedier over time. My first goal for my first marathon is to finish in one piece!! Good luck! You are rocking the activity that's for sure!!