Saturday, June 2, 2012

Inspired by Running Friends

Sometimes the stars align and next thing happening is I'm meeting people who have inspired me longer than I have known them or met them. Does that make sense? (only through the blog world)  I met Julia in person only a few weeks ago, but have been reading her blog much longer, and I'm already so inspired by her abilities and enjoy running on the trails so much with her.  I love her lofty goals and ambitions.  I also appreciate the fact that she is just a super nice person and has a great set of morals and values.  She's basically a super positive little lady and I'm glad I get the opportunity to be her friend for a short time. I'm so sad that she is moving away in a couple of months.  Whatever will I do for trail running?  Hubby won't let me get a dog. (not that I could handle one anyway-anybody have a dog they can loan me?)  I guess I'll have to invest in some mace or keep trying to bribe some of my friends to take up trail running with me. heh heh
Then there's Josh, whose blog I only found a couple weeks ago.  In fact he was the one that posted about the Draper Trails 15 mile race and I immediately signed up because it looked so awesome.  Josh has lost 175 pounds and is the epitome of staying active and healthy.  He has already run 10 half marathons this year and plans on running a total of 24, with two of those being actual full marathons!  Go Josh!!  I enjoy reading Josh's blog because he is so positive and finds joy in everyone of his runs.  He wears denim and pink shoes in most of his races, and carries a banana.  I also enjoy reading blogs that make me laugh and Josh knows how to do that.  If I could claim him as another one of my sons I would in a heartbeat.

Then there's Cory.  I'm not sure what I can say about him that would even measure up to his greatness.  This guy runs 100 mile races in the sun, backwards and with his eyes closed.  O.k., not really all of that but he is basically my running idol.  A few days ago he had emailed Julia and said he would be in town and wanted to run the Draper Trails with a bunch of hommies.  Of course I jumped at the opportunity.  I have been reading Cory's blog for a long time now as well and if I ever run an ultra-marathon it will be because of him.  He writes about ultra-marathons as if anyone with enough mental strength and desire can do them.  Although I know they're challenging he totally makes them seem so do-able and I am so intrigued by the whole distance thing anyway.  I would say his example is partly to blame for my 46 mile birthday adventure.  It was so much fun to run with him and just glean from his knowledge.
So we hit the trails on a Wednesday evening and ran our little hearts out.  After about 4 miles into our run and keeping an eye on the time so as not to get stuck on the trails in the dark we turned around and headed back down the mountain.  We finished up with a total of 8 miles after running up and down the parking lot so the mileage would be exact.  Yes, I am one of those that can't end a run on an odd number.  Then I pulled out the treats!  I knew Julia liked chocolate so I brought no bake cookies.  I knew Cory liked Twinkies.  He is the KING of Hostess. You can read all about his hostess article in the ultra running magazine he was published in here.  They should just hire him to be a spokes person.  So I brought zingers.  I knew Josh liked pizza, but sadly I wasn't able to round up a pizza.  I think the after-race treats hit the spot! 
Trails are where it's at people!  SO MUCH FUN!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susette- I recently started reading your blog and was pleased to see so many of the people I also follow in your posts. Long time reader of Cory. I've had the pleasure of meeting him at several races and I take complete credit for his Hokas! We run the Draper trails all the time so who knows, I might run into you sometime. I am also running the Utah Valley Half next weekend. LOVED you birthday run post.

Unknown said...

You are having so much fun that you've almost convinced me to start running again!

Cory Reese said...

You know what? You are awesome. I am so glad we were able to get together. I loved talking with you as the miles passed by.

And the post-run Zingers were so funny and thoughtful. Thanks so much! I hope we can run again soon.

Josh said...

I echo Cory. You are AWESOME! Thank you for the kind words. It's been such a fun week of running. I can't wait until next week for the Utah Valley 1/2! PRs for everyone!!!

But, the next trail run we should order pizza before we head down the mountain! LOL!

Jerilee E. said...

What a fun run! I really need to start running trails.
Pizza is one of my favorite after-run meals... maybe I need to start adding a Zinger in there, too :).

Julia said...

this is such a sweet post Susette! you have been such a great friend to me and im so glad we have found a love for the trails! see you tomorrow:) and i agree with Josh! YES to PIZZA!

Doran & Jody said...

I am soooo missing out on everything.

If you feed your friends like this after every run maybe I should come and hobble with you. If only...

Loralee and the gang... said...

You inspire me, right when I am lacking motivation! THANK YOU! I may even start making and posting my running goals, too. It really does help keep the accountability, doesn't it?