Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Weekend

Our Memorial Weekend started a week early with Mark and I planting this tree in the front yard in honor of our son, Porter. I like this tree because it has a mountain feel about it, which is where Porter liked to be, and also where he was when he died. The plaque was a gift from the Bilbao family, dear friends of ours for many years.  I'm loving it displayed in the yard by the tree.
Sunday after church our family went up to the cemetery to put flowers on Porter's grave.
The boys may not like me posting about their little tiff but it just goes to show that even though they are mature young adults, they still feel the urge to poke and irritate.  I'll let you figure out who is bugging who, by touching the other one, when they didn't want to be touched. 
We had to get grandpa in between them to settle things down a bit.  Porter was probably thinking this is so typical of his older brothers.
Don't you love that sweet, red truck in the background?  My daddy restored that pretty thing and putters around town in it
My mother created the guitar wreath. She put little music note stickers and guitar stickers all over it.
We then headed home, changed our Sunday clothes, and headed up the canyon to hang out with the Weisenberger bunch. This sweet mom, Karla, invited us up to her family cabin and made us the most yummy hamburgers called wampus burgers. You may wonder what that is? Well, I will just tell you I've never had anything like it, and it was probably the most delightful hamburger I have ever eaten. Basically, it's two hamburger patties sealed together after you stuff all sorts of yummy things in between them, such as: grilled onion, mushrooms, cheese, bacon, anything your little heart desires. And then you throw them on the grill and hope everything stays inside. Karla also made homemade buns to put these burgers on.  We ate and visited and laughed.  This is Karla's beautiful daughter, Sarah, who was good friends with our son, Porter.
We sat by a campfire and visited some more.  It gave me a little heads up for what I will be experiencing next week as I venture off to girls camp.
  We played games inside the cabin and then came out a little later and made smores.  Have you ever tried a smore made with a peanut butter cup?   Pretty tasty.
Thank you so much Weisenbergers!  We had a blast!  Jordan even commented that it was nice to just get away and do something fun with the family all together.

15 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm glad you've had such a nice weekend so far! Those burgers sound great. What a lovely plaque and tree! I'm sure it will be a blessing for many years to come!

LL said...

sounds perfect!
I love the pictures of the boys pestering each other. I guess brothers really don't out grow it.
Funny!!!

Jenny said...

The wampus burgers sound yummy even though it is 7 am!

The plaque is very nice looking by the tree.

Girls camp? Wow, you are all going early in the summer. Our girls don't go until July 5th.

Anonymous said...

The picture of Jordan eating a chip looks like a "product placement" segment in a movie! Good times!

Loralee and the gang... said...

What a sweet tribute to your son,, Porter.
And I am going to have to make some of those hamburgers for my family!

Doran & Jody said...

Boys will be boys forever!

Next time....our house and the "B".

Doran & Jody said...

Next time....Logan canyon and a hike to the Juniper tree.

~Doran

Melissa Miller said...

Susette oh my goodness sweet friend I had no idea about the passing of your son Porter. I am so very sorry to read this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family on this special day. The photos are really beautiful of your sons and your father and husband. You too! You all look wonderful.

The red truck of your fathers is really special. He did a wonderful job with it! The reason I chose that particular photo to post was beacause of the cute red truck. I thought it was charming. What a neat coincidence.

Many blessings to you and your family. Thank you for your kind visit today. You are always welcome anytime. It was so nice to hear from you! Your new blog colors and style look pretty. It looks like a fresh design and I just adore it.

~Warmly, ~Melissa

the weisenburger life said...

We had a great time! Thanks for joining us! It was the highlight of our holiday weekend :o) We love you!

Heatherlyn said...

I have never tried smores with peanut butter cup. That sounds fantastic! So do the burgers, but aren't they big and fat? Those would be some big bites!!!

I like Porter's tree. It's a good tree!

Glad you had a fun weekend!! Hope you have a good time at Girls' camp!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

What a great idea to plant a tree for him! I just love that plaque, so special!

Jacki said...

what a sweet thing to have in your yard to remember porter by. it looks great. the headstone looks amazing too.
the pictures of cooper and Jordan crack me up. boys will be boys.

tiki_lady said...

beautiful, im sure porter was smiling watching everything going on! what a beautiful memory of planting a tree.

Mrs. O said...

The boys' tiff reminds me of that video that made the rounds on FB for Mother's Day. Hilarious.

I think a tree is a great tribute and having it right there will warm your heart every time you see it.

Brenda said...

You mean it never ends with boys? I keep hoping it will get better as they get older.

I love the tree tribute, that is so sweet, along with Grandpa's red truck!

Have a great time at Girls camp!
Love, Brenda