Monday, February 25, 2013

Retired Running Shoes

When I started this running journey a little over 2 years ago at the end of 2010 I had no idea where it would lead.  I thought I was going to train for one major half marathon and then call it quits.  I would get to say I ran a half marathon and then move on to other life goals and ambitions.  I didn't know this body of mine could run more than one half marathon in a year.  Wow! What shallow, naive thinking I had back then.  I ended up running 3 half marathons in 2011 and thought that was pushing the limit.

Then along came 2012 and I went totally NUTZO! I won't expound much more on that except to say I ran almost any race I could get my hands on.  Little did I know what would happen to me mentally.  There's this constant drive to run more and see where else I can go on this journey.

So with all that running means my shoes are going to get worn out.  This poor, sad little pair is one of the first pair I owned and trained in.  My good friend Annaleesa gave them to me to help me in my new running adventures and I have used them and abused them beyond any safe limits. 
They don't look so bad from this angle unless you look a little closer to the ankle area.   And then when you look at the tread all worn away and even getting past that layer you realize I abused these poor soles.  When I got new shoes to run in I still didn't have the heart to throw these away and turned them into my walking shoes that I did twice a week with my other good friend Laurie. 
Quite a few different pairs of shoes have been added to my shoe rotation and these poor things simply must now go.  There is no more use for them and I am saying good-bye.  I'll admit I did throw them away once and then went out to the dumpster to rescue them after a couple days.  There's just some strange connection to those first pair of "real" running shoes.  Sigh...........they really are gone now.

7 comments:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

It's crazy how attached we can become to a pair of shoes. We experiences so much of them. We find out who we are in them. They represent a journey that you went on to discover yourself. It's hard to part with them. But yeah, after you've been running awhile and have a gazillion pairs, they've just gotta go.

susette said...

Oh Amy, of course I knew you would understand completely!

wendy said...

Yes, you did go Nutzo (tee,hee). It is your adrenaline rush and nothing wrong with that.
but sweety..BUY YOURSELF A GREAT NEW PAIR OF SHOES

Lara Neves said...

I just looked at your list of races for 2012 and you did go crazy! Several half marathons within weeks of each other! You are amazing! And so are your shoes. :)

Jerilee E. said...

You were running crazy last year! That's the good kind of crazy :). I still have my first pair of running shoes from 2.5 years ago. I can't seem to get rid of them.

Yo Momma Runs said...

I still have my first pair of running shoes too! I feel the same compulsion to keep them even though I can throw other ones away. They are really comfy, and I use them for running errands. And, wow, you have really come a long way from 2010! You are one of my ultra marathon inspirations!

Will Cooper said...

That is some majore milage on those boys. It's tough to let go of the little things like running shoes!