Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sick and A Big Yellow Taxi Song

When these became my best friends for about 5 days then it was time to quit fighting it, hoping I would get better on my own.  I made a quick visit to the doc and was diagnosed with a sinus infection.  I'm so glad I got on some antibiotics but actually wished I would have done it sooner.  I'm a little bit stubborn in thinking I can just get better on my own so I usually wait it out for a few days longer.   So now being on day 8 of a 10 day cycle of antibiotics I feel like I am FINALLY getting back to normal.  I never got a fever but I just felt run down and weak, with multi-colored phlegm and drainage, and occasional coughing.  Seriously, just gross!!

Running was definitely out of the question!  The blessing in all of this?  My good friend and walking partner helped me see that I was able to complete many races all Summer long with no sickness and finally now when the race calendar is winding down for the year I had time to get sick.  I guess if it had to happen this was the perfect time. I'm just hoping I'm done for the year.  I still have a few races left to run in 2012 and I'm not going down without a fight!

It's been a little over 2 weeks since I ran the Moab Trail Marathon on November 3rd and I have done zero running since then until today, which I only happened to slowly exert out 1/2 a mile after I walked 4 miles with my buddy.  I'm chomping at the bit to be able to get back at this full swing.  Thanksgiving morning will be my opportunity as I will be running with a bunch of friends from Runner's Anonymous.  A lot of us will be attempting a half marathon which usually seems very doable.  I'm not so sure what I will be able to accomplish.  Thankfully we will be doing an out and back run and so I can always turn around if I'm feeling weak.  I'm sure I will be doing a run/walk combination or just running super slow, but I'm ready to do this thing again.

And I am definitely grateful for good health.  It's so easy to take it for granted.  The song "Big Yellow Taxi" ran through my head multiple times as I was trying to get better, especially the line that sings:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone?   

Yes sireee, super glad for good health!!

2 comments:

Jerilee E. said...

Sorry you've been sick! I've been dealing with the same thing- dang sinus infections.
Good luck on the race tomorrow! I'm guessing you're doing the Thankful 13? I almost registered last night but talked myself out of it.

Heatherlyn said...

Sometimes I think our body know when we are going to be done with our goals and just waits to crash to make us catch up on rest! I'm glad you are feeling much better now. Good health is SUCH a blessing!