Thursday, January 12, 2012

Iron Man Progress

With the first week of the iron man challenge completed I have a few thoughts about it...

*SWIMMING IS HARD! Out of the three events, this one is kicking my trash. I'm still trying to get my breathing worked out so that I don't have to stop half way through every single lap.  There's a couple girls in my young women's group at church that swim every single day before school and they know their stuff.  So I had to pick their brains and have them teach me how to not look like a flailing lunatic in the water.  I have only been able to swim 38 of the required 80 (ish) laps.  I'll get it done though.  I still have one more week. 
*I LOVE BIKING-I have actually grown quite fond of biking-more than I thought I would.  I love being able to get caught up on my newspaper reading and have been enjoying reading a few more running books and even started reading "The Help" I got from a friend for Christmas.  I've completed 71 miles of 112 so far.
  
*I have no new thoughts about running.  I still pound the pavement and try to get in a few miles each day.  'Slow and steady wins the race' is kind of my mantra right now.  I've already determined long ago that I was not a fast runner, nor will I ever be.  I won't be winning any races, only just finishing them, which is just perfect for me right now.  I have read a lot about speed work, and tempo runs, and I just can't make myself do it.  I feel grateful to just be able to run at my age with just starting a year ago.  Maybe down the road my thinking might change, but for now I'm content with where I'm at.  I've completed 18.5 miles of 26.2.

This challenge for me officially ends in one week on Thursday January 19th.  I'm hoping to be able to complete everything by Saturday.  We'll see how much I can get done in the next three days.

3 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

Wonderful wonderful goals...!!!
Swimming...eh. NOT! Don't you there are sharks in the water?!

Unknown said...

You go girl.

Loralee and the gang... said...

You are doing great!