Saturday, January 14, 2012

Iron Man Challenge-DONE! and The Olympic Marathon Trials

I headed out the door this morning for a 2 mile run to finish up with a final 26 1/2 miles for the running portion of the challenge and then came home and got my swimming suit and shorts on and headed to the local rec. center.  I hopped on the bike and finished up 15 miles to complete the 112 miles of the biking portion and then headed to the pool.   There was a big swim meet going on and so the lanes were changed.  Instead of getting to swim 50 meter laps I could only swim in the lanes they had set up for 20 meter laps.  My brain couldn't do the math right away so I just got in and swam my little heart out for almost an hour.  I ended up doing 80 laps which equals 1600 meters.  I figured I would do the math when I got home.  I made sure to do extra laps so that I wouldn't fall short of meeting my goal.  I ended up actually going a little further than the required 2.4 miles.  This challenge given to me by a fellow blogger friend what set up to be done in a 2 week span and I am happy to report I've completed it in 9 days.  I just may have to try this challenge again someday.    

I zoomed home quickly so I could watch the Olympic marathon trials being held in Houston today.  What an inspiration to watch top notch athletes running their little legs and hearts out. These men ran a marathon today in 2 hours 9 minutes and some seconds and the women ran it in 2 hours 25 minutes and some seconds.  Holy cow!  I'm happy with a half marathon at that pace. I sat glued to the t.v. in awe, totally amazed at what these people can push their bodies to do.  The top 3 men and 3 women will go on this Summer to compete in the Olympics in London.  In the past I've been a very casual Olympic watcher, but since taking up running last year you can definitely bet I will be having myself some Olympic watching enjoyment time.   

6 comments:

Jerilee E. said...

Awesome job with the Iron Man Challenge!! So impressed!
I loved watching the Olympic trials today- so amazing seeing them maintain that speed for 26.2!

Julia said...

ahhh! amazing job on the ironman challenge! i admire your swimming ability! i hope to be able to swim that far some day!

and the trials. YES! absolutely amazing!

Doran & Jody said...

GREAT job!!

I might consider doing another one with you....as long as we can swim on dry ground. (no sharks)

Just SO said...

Woo Hoo!! Way to finish!

Alana said...

Holy Coe woman!! You are on. Fire! I need to do something like that for sure!

Jenny Lynn said...

you are amazing. I watch the trails as well. Even predicted who would be first, second , and third. This surprised my Hubby.