Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Dad Hiked Porter's Mountain

I'm so proud of my daddy!
 Here he is at age 73 after a hike up Porter's mountain in July 2011
 
One Sunday afternoon he was home alone.  My mom was out of town at a wedding and I called him up to see if he wanted to take a little walk/hike up to Porter's rock.  I told him we could go as slow as he needed and we could stop as often as he wanted.  He had always wanted to take this hike but has had failing health for the past year.  He has been working hard to try and get better and I must have asked him at just the right time because he said yes he would like to hike.  It practically shocked me.  I was excited though and hung up the phone and me and mark got our shoes on and water bottles and rushed over to pick him up.  We drove just the short distance away from his house up Dry Canyon and parked in the parking lot and headed off on the trail.  When I hike this trail alone I can usually get to Porter's rock in about 10-12 minutes, so it's not a long hike by any means, though there are definitely a few steep places.  I didn't time our hike but I gotta say dad did amazing!  He just kept trudging along and really didn't need to stop too many times to rest.  In fact I thought he did pretty awesome! I just felt so blessed to get to have my dad experience this.  Porter's death was certainly a tragedy and his grandpa should get to be in the place where it happened on what I will forever call "Porter's Mountain."

Thank you daddy for letting us have this special time with you.  It's certainly a precious moment I will always treasure. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very precious indeed. :)

Ashley Eliza said...

This brought tears to my eyes.I love everything about this. Your dad is the sweetest ever Susette!! What a neat experience for the both of you :)

tammy said...

Bittersweet picture, but so glad you got to experience that with him.

Jenny Lynn said...

The photo is wonderful. Along with a priceless moment for you to treasure. Glad he was well enough to hike up.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

This is an amazing post! I love that, what a wonderful dad you have!

Doran & Jody said...

Good job DAD!!!