Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Peach Days 10K-Brigham City

A few weeks ago my friend Jody invited me to come up to their city's Peach Days celebration and to run in the annual 10K. Mark was out of town at a trade show and I decided that this may be a fun little getaway that I was in need of. I got done teaching piano on Friday evening and made myself a huge club sandwich on ciabatta bread to eat in the car on my drive. Another friend had given me a baggie full of cherry tomatoes so I took those as well.  Eating a sandwich with fresh garden tomato slices is way too messy so I loved that I could take a bite of my sandwich and then pop in a few cherry tomatoes instead to mush around in my mouth with the sandwich. Such deliciousness!  I loaded up a cooler with a few other necessary food items and headed North for the 1 1/2 hour drive. (That actually turned into 2 hours because traffic on 1-15 was a nightmare.) I got there and enjoyed a relaxing evening visiting my friends and their daughter cortney and her friend.  We went to bed kind of late and then got up early and ate breakfast.  On race days my morning food consists of toast with peanut butter and banana on top.  More deliciousness! We headed down to the hub of the city and got our bibs and took pictures. My friend Annaleesa gave me this way cool bright yellow shirt and I couldn't get the safety pins to go through the fabric, plus I didn't want to ruin my new shirt so I just put my bib on my shorts.  Jody is a picture-taking nut like me so, of course, we had to have a little mini photo shoot before and after the race.


We got our bibs put on and put our jackets and stuff back in the car and just lingered around waiting to start.  This race was a lot of fun for the fact that there weren't 2500-3000 participants like the 1/2 marathons I ran.  We figured there were maybe about 400-500 people total.  The race started right on the main street and we were off at 8:00 am sharp.  Doran owns a Garmin forerunner 305, something I desperately want!  He loaned that to me because he didn't want to run with it in this race. For those who don't know what this is, it's a handy little satellite watch you wear while running that will tell you your speed, time and distance.  About 15 years ago I ran a 10K in Provo and that took me 1:06:06.  So for this race I was hoping to beat that by just a little.  The race course was very hilly which was a bit challenging. Every hill we climbed just meant a nice big downhill afterwards though which was nice.  I kept looking at that watch trying to stay ahead of that hour and 6 minute mark.  At one point we ran right by the new Brigham City Temple which is so pretty and still under construction. After running down the main street for a little ways the rest of the course was all around neighborhoods in the city and made a big loop back to the main street where we ended at the starting point.
Doran is Jody's husband and he had finished in about 53 minutes so he came back and ran me in.  He told me to put it into high gear and run hard to the end.  So I did and was pretty excited to see that clock read 59:46.  I went over to the drink table and got myself some water and gatorade and two giant peaches.  I sat on the lawn and devoured them.  Such a delicious treat after a morning run.  Here we are all together after the race.  Doran went back and got his wife and daughter as well.  He's such a good guy.  I keep telling him he should run a full marathon with all the extra running he does for everybody else.   
We stuck around for the award ceremonies after they had posted everybody's time. I was super surprised to find I had come in 3rd place in my age category out of 18 women. I earned myself this cute little medallion for what I like to call the old lady division. This was a fun but challenging race and I may just have to run it again next year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're getting better and better! I'd run for peaches!

Audrey said...

I'm so impressed with your running! I love reading about it. thanks for posting.

Doran & Jody said...

Woot! You are getting to be a running maniac!