Friday, July 15, 2011

Observation of Waving

There seems to be a feeling of camaraderie in the world amongst people doing activities of the same kind. Have you ever noticed when you're driving down the road and you see motorcyclists pass each other?  They usually give each other a little wave or a nod, yet they probably don't know each other.  And people out riding their bikes?  They seem happy to share a wave and a smile.  The same thing happens on my morning runs.  As I pass a fellow runner sure enough we give a little wave or a nod, as if to acknowledge that we understand that what they are doing is challenging.  Yet, I don't notice motorcyclists waving at runners, or bikers waving at motorcyclists, or runners waving at bikers etc.  It seems to be people doing the same activity.

Now....how come people in cars can't do the same thing?  Wouldn't that eliminate road rage if everyone just smiled and waved at each other?  Oh, what a happy world this would be :)

Have a lovely weekend and wave at somebody new.  It might just brighten their day.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Love this! I completely agree. That is one thing I love about running...the friendly waves of the fellow runners.

Bina said...

I love this! When I go on motorcycle rides we always do the hand signal but I never once thought about waving at other people. Good to think about haha! :)

Grandma Cebe said...

Interesting thing about the motorcycle wave thing...my husband and I ride a BMW motorcycle. It's my job as the 2nd seat rider to wave at other motorcycles. It's interesting that even though I wave to anyone, regardless of what they are riding, Harley Davidson riders often don't do the wave with us.

Jillian said...

Actually after commuting to SLC for almost two years, I've noticed that there are little things drivers do for one another like that too. Usually it's more during the merge process, waving to acknowledge thanks for letting someone come over when they know it's not always the most convenient etc. You get used to seeing certain cars since you all leave around the same time. It's an interesting dynamic.