Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nathan's Art Work

I can't remember if I've ever posted this photo of Porter but it cracks me up every time I see it. It was so typical of Porter and his goofy humor to do something like this.
Well, we received a pretty nice gift from Porter's best friend Nathan Buhler.  He showed up with some awesome artwork to give to us.  He has been going to college down in Southern Utah at Dixie College and this large painting of Porter was his final project.  He came by to present it to us which we quickly and gratefully accepted.
I know I've said before how much Porter loved the band Keane. Nathan also knew of Porter's love for this band and so he also did this painting of the lead singer to give to us as well.
Last weekend was a tender time for me.  I started gathering things from all over the house that reminded us of Porter and put them in his room to fill it up and make it more cozy to go in there.  Up to this point his room has stood pretty empty with bare walls and just a bed and a rocking chair.  His clothes and other items had been safely put away in his closet.  Occasionally I like to go in his room and lay on his bed and read my scriptures and just think about him.  But it always feels so cold and empty.  I know it will always feel that way to some degree but this past weekend I, along with the help of the family turned that feeling around a little bit.
Cooper had Porter's bass and amp in his room and brought it back up.  We hung Nathan's beautiful art work on the walls.  I put a bookcase in the room and filled it up with everything 'Porter' related.  Now I love to go in there and sit in the rocking chair and admire so many things that Porter loved.  It has such a relaxing feeling in there.  I someday want to have a blanket made out of Porter's clothes, yet in talking with all the family about it they aren't sure they want to have his clothes cut into pieces.  For now we still find comfort in opening his closet and looking at the items hanging there and remembering how he looked dressed in them.

9 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Oh, Susette. What wonderful gifts those paintings are! I love the one of Porter! Nathan is very talented, and so thoughtful to give these to your family.

Unknown said...

What a great and blessed gift. I think it's a great idea to have your Porter room set up so you can feel close to him.

Heatherlyn said...

His friend is so talented. What a wonderful picture!!!! Little tender mercies. What a priceless wonderful gift. :)

Nikki said...

After reading your half marathon post, I had to go find out who this special Porter was that you talked about in there. So I searched your blog and found a link to your daughters blog as well and got filled in on the whole story of what happened to your precious Porter. Oh my goodness! I am so sorry that you had to experience the loss of your sweet child at such a young age. That is a heartache that I can't even imagine feeling.

He seemed like a wonderful young man who had a lot going for him. And a very handsome one as well.

I am so sorry for you loss. I know he is watching over all of you and you will be reunited with him again someday! ((Hugs))

That painting is so perfect. What an awesome treasure to have from your son's friend.

Ashley Eliza said...

Susette,

I am so glad I found your blog :) It makes me miss you and your family. What beautiful art work of Porter! Fits him perfectly. What a wonderful gift. Way to go on the half marathon!!! That is SO awesome, you inspire me. You are simply amazing Susette. Stay in touch!

xoxo
Ashley

Jenny Lynn said...

That scarf is so happy awesome. The paintings are amazing. A quilt is a wonderful idea, I could imagine you wrapped up in it.

You inspire me so, to treasure all those special moments that I have with my son.

heather said...

What wonderful paintings!!

Mrs. O said...

Those paintings are a treasure.

Nathan Buhler said...

LOVE THIS! Thanks for posting, and I was wondering if you could maybe post some pics of his room all gussied up? Thanks and love you guys!