Sunday, August 25, 2013

Porter's Half Marathon

Porter's Half Marathon
Race #26 of 2013

I ran this race a week ago and thought I better get the memories down pronto before they become fuzzy.  I ran this race last year too and loved it.  Not necessarily because of the course or the whole race specifically, but because the name alone has special meaning to me. As long as I can run, I will do this race.

The race started at 7:00 am and I was grateful for the extra hour of sleep.  Now that Summer is starting to wind down we are losing the morning daylight and so half marathons are starting later.  I got up still pretty early, around 4:00 am and got myself ready and out the door by 5:00 and headed to Draper for the bus pick-up.  I met up with my friend Josh, who would be running this race for his first time.  (He rocked it)
Josh pinned my photo of Porter on my back for me.
We meandered around while it got light and made some new running friends from our Runner's Anonymous Facebook group.  Half the fun of races is the opportunity to socialize and meet new people.
Me, Josh, Carl and Tani Downing, Quesnel Atwood
My running buddy Josh was super excited to run this race, can't you tell?  He is working so hard getting faster at each race and is really improving.  It's so fun to watch his enthusiasm and determination.

This is a new race, in its 2nd year.  The only glitch I saw was the late start.  If a race advertises it's starting at 7:00 am, then that's what should happen.  It's just a little frustrating to stand around at the starting line with jitters and anticipation mounting and then having to wait longer.  This started about 10 minutes late which wasn't a huge deal but when the sun started coming up over the mountains a little further down the trail 10 minutes was a big deal when it got hot.

This run was challenging.  Plain and simple.  I have been having some minor sore back issues going on in the last couple weeks and trying to rest and take it easy.  My running has scaled back a lot and I wasn't sure how ready I would be to tackle 13.1 miles.  On top of that my diet has suffered and I've put on a few pounds.  That will be changing pronto!!

So the gun went off and away we went down the street.  I could tell right from the very beginning I felt a little off.  My body usually gets in the groove around mile 3 and things start to feel good by then and I can continue on.  Today I never found that 'happy' spot.  I constantly hurt and did the most walking and running combination I've ever done at a race.  At mile 5 1/2 I got a bloody nose and asked some kind people out in their yard for tissue.  The sweet lady ran in the house and came out with a huge wad for me.  What a lifesaver!  It finally stopped around mile 8, as I ran with tp shoved up my nose.  What a sight huh?

At 2 hours 30 minutes and 48 seconds I finally crossed the finish line, grateful it was over.  Josh was being interviewed by the Deseret News, who was doing a story about fighting obesity and she took photos there at the finish line giving him high fives. 
Even though I didn't have the strength and energy and enthusiasm that I usually do at many of my other races, Porter was heavy on my mind.  In fact, I believe he was by my side many times encouraging me and helping me through this challenging morning I was having.  I definitely thought about him here more than at any other race, and I found a lot of comfort in thoughts of him. 
 Crossing the finish line means delicious refreshment, and relaxation.
 And of course a medal!


Christy said...

You are very inspirational and too cute. I'm sorry to hear about your sweet Porter and have no doubt he was there cheering his mama on. Great job as always!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

When I saw you were doing the Porter's half I thought you had started the race! How nice that there is already a "memorial" race for you!

When you posted that you found a lot of comfort in your thoughts of him and immediately posted a picture of food I had to laugh a little in my brain. I know, totally inappropriate. Thoughts of food bring me comfort too though. ;)

I'm sorry it was a tough race, but I'm glad you had someone you love helping you through.

wendy said...

This has to be one of your most rewarding runs I'd think.

Renee said...

My heart aches for you. You are a strong woman.

Cory Reese said...

I love how you wore the sign as a memorial. Congrats on adding yet another medal to your enormous collection. You are amazing!