Friday, June 14, 2013

Prepping to Run Corner Canyon 50K Tomorrow

Sometimes I like races with the element of the unknown, trails with new views and new corners to turn and explore.  Such was the case last year when I ran the Corner Canyon 50K.  Tomorrow I will be running it again and looking very forward to it.  However, they played a sneaky trick and opened up a whole new section.  Draper City recently acquired a brand new section of land and we will now be running almost 8 of the miles out there.  Well, I decided I didn't want to be surprised and so I went for a little run this morning to check it out.

This is where I began and ended my 9 mile run today.

The temperature was a little cool and breezy which was actually perfect for a run.  I'm hoping it stays that way tomorrow too.  Last year was just too darn hot.  The race was in August and so having it earlier this year will be so much nicer.  I'm hoping for no bonking like I did in the heat last year.

The new section of trail was fine. I wouldn't say it was fabulous because anytime big hills are involved I don't get too excited.  There were definitely some good, long climbs going on. There were some spectacular views though as I got further into this section.  At one point I felt like I was on top of the mountain and wanted to bust out singing "The hills are alive, with the sound of music." I took no photos of the section but I will tomorrow.  Maybe I'll even take a picture of me singing!
While I was up there I ran into Jonny Maack, who is one of the helpers for this race.  He and a few other people were out there marking the course for tomorrow.  I chatted with them for a little bit and shared my excitement for the race tomorrow.  They really know how to put on a good race.  I was also really happy to see the addition of a few porta potties that weren't here last year.  Those are always a good thing to have around.
2 hours and 25 minutes to go 9 miles?  Yeah, I was taking my time and enjoying the scenery. 
It was a beautiful day for a beautiful run out on the trails.

3 comments:

Renee said...

I'm *so* excited about the new trails! My running buddy's husband is working on them! So nice. Good luck tomorrow!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

I hope you did well in your race! I don't do well when hills show up either! You're one tough chick!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

I'm doing a little catch up reading and I'm late on this ... but I hope your run went well yesterday - look forward to reading about it!