Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Broken Alarm Clock

I've posted before how much I like President Hinckley's saying that states: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without".  And so many times in my life I have felt like if I have something old and it works just fine then why buy something new to replace it?  Well, that has been the case of this handy, dandy little alarm clock I have owned since about 9th grade. We're talking over 30 years people! I have awoken to this thing for many more years than I've known my own husband.  Now how many things can you say that about?  I think this definitely falls into the category of using it up or wearing it out.     
Well, the sad day has finally come that this handy little alarm clock has bit the dust.  One day a couple weeks ago it showed this strange code on the face and wouldn't budge another minute.  I tried changing the time, changing the alarm, turning it off, unplugging it, all for nothing.  It still would read the same strange code on the face.  I really can't complain though.  It has served me well.  Promptly it went into the trash and I headed into Porter's closet and found one of his old ones he had used.  It has taken some definite getting used to with all the different buttons and options.  And waking up to a radio??? That is a whole new concept to me.  But I am here to announce what a joyful way to wake up in the mornings this has been!! Why wasn't I doing this ages ago?  No more of that annoying, blaring, alarm clock sound that makes your heart panic and thump a few extra beats in the morning as you reach for the snooze button.  I wake up each morning now with some happy little song playing or the DJ's talking and laughing with each other.  No more extra thumps of my heart.  Just a peaceful rising. 
Good-bye little Spartus alarm clock.  Thanks for the memories-though not fond ones.  Who seriously likes to get woke up to such an ugly noise that you have produced for over 30 years?

On another note, my poor little Ford Taurus that I'm driving is falling under the category of "wear it out".  Mark is really pushing me to get another car but I'm staying firm with driving it until its life is over.  I really hate spending money.  The heater core is going out and I drive around with a lukewarm heater blowing inside. Its days really are numbered, so I may be getting a car sooner than later.  Mark also accidentally backed into it with his car (didn't do any damage to his) and knocked the side mirror off (which he glued back on) and put a nice big dent in the passenger side door.  He says he's not putting any more money into this car, and I agree.  But I'm still happy to just keep driving it till it dies.

6 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

That is a long lasting alarm clock, 30 years! Sorry it gave out.

I hate spending money. We are looking at getting another car. Hubby is doing all the looking right now.

Unknown said...

We are still using the alarm clock I had in college. It is kind of sad to see things like that go.

Get a new car though!!!

Doran & Jody said...

Can't wait to see what kind of car you get! I love mine!

One more "daddy-back-into-the-car" outta do it.

wendy said...

You ARE a good user upper.
I hate blarring alarm clocks...I have to have the soft sounds of music trying to lure me out of bed.

We are driving our car until it begs for life support..then we'll let her go.
Cause I don't want life support for me, why would this poor little car.
She'd love to be replaced by some nice 4 wheel drive, heated seats, hotty.

Momma Twitch said...

Hahaha! My mom says that to me all the time, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". I love it. :) It's a good way to be.

vie said...

we were playing the "google yourself" game today at my house. I was honored to see that the second photo that pops up for me is of a poor kitty in a bathtub.

hahah!