Friday, February 24, 2012

Mark No Longer in his Comfort Zone

I have been married to this delightful man for 27 years now and have always loved and admired his willingness to serve in the church.  He knows how to get right in and fulfill his callings and makes things happen.  He's always been happy to serve behind the scenes and never likes to be in the spotlight.  He's just a gentle, loving, sweet person and I respect and appreciate him and all he does for me and our family.
Well, Sunday February 5th (also Cooper's birthday) Mark's world changed drastically.  Mark and I were both called in to visit with the Stake President earlier in the week for Mark to be called to a new position in our ward.  It was going to change Mark's level of comfort in a huge way.  We're talking in all the 27 years I've known Mark I've only seen him up at the pulpit to offer opening or closing prayers.  I've never heard him speak in church or bear his testimony. Well..... the Stake President asked mark if he would serve as the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric. We were both sitting there completely speechless.  Of course, Mark accepted but he admitted right up front that this was going to be the hardest thing he's ever done and that it may take a long time to get over his fear of speaking in public.(If ever) I am super excited and thrilled for Mark to have a calling now that helps him move out of his comfort zone.  The Lord certainly works in mysterious ways.
We also had to do a mad dash shopping trip to Mr. Mac to buy Mark a suit. He owns a suit but it just doesn't fit him right anymore. They helped us out very nicely and was able to get him fitted and the suit tailored in 24 hours. I think Mark looks super spiffy, don't you?
The next Sunday, February 12th, our next door neighbor got a hold of our newspaper in the early morning hours and pasted this headline on the front.  What a funny guy!

8 comments:

wendy said...

ha ha...that is funny what your friend did with the newspaper.

My brother was a bishop, and just released a year ago. Hard work, but he also misses it now.

Your husband and your family will grow in many many ways now.
What a great blessing to your family.
and...he looks handsome in his new suit.

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! And what a sweet idea to add him to the headlines on the paper!
You will grow to love your ward family in ways you didn't think possible!

LL said...

I had chills while I read this...so neat!

lesa said...

Hi, new to your blog! From experience (well my husband's) it will be the best calling in the world once he gets passed the fear factor. :)

My husband didn't show many emotions before being 1st counselor, but oh boy, did he become a softy after.

Many, many blessings will come your way. I was sad when my husband was released.

Jerilee E. said...

wow! So exciting and a BIG calling! My husband is named Mark, too and sounds very similar to your Mark :). A very good, kind person- but not one who is comfortable talking to/in front of large groups of people. It's good to push ourselves out of our comfort zones, though.
I love that your neighbor changed the headline on the newspaper- such a fun idea.

Doran & Jody said...

Woot! He even made the paper!!
Congrats Mark!

alpinekleins said...

Ha! I can relate - TOTALLY :D I have not gotten used to my calling for 2 and 2/12th's years :) Still scares me to death . . .

Kristin

Heatherlyn said...

I have seen some very nervous members of the bishopric get up and conduct on Sundays. They all made it through their years of service. I'm sure he'll do great!