Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Singing Valentine from my Love

Oh what an interesting and fun Valentine's Day it has been so far.  I got up super early to make clam chowder for a funeral. A dear sweet 92 year old man whose wife I visit teach passed away.  I decided to double batch the soup so we would have plenty to eat here at home too.  Well, my double batch sort of turned into about a 2 1/2 batch.  I tend to go a little overboard in my cooking sometimes.  I'll be handing out clam chowder tonight and tomorrow if anybody wants some.

After finishing that up I headed out for a 5 mile run and enjoyed the beautiful 33 degree weather in only this long-sleeved shirt I'm wearing in this photo.  There was absolutely no coat necessary while wearing this.  My good friend Annaleesa just gave me this underarmor shirt that is for colder climates and I'm here to confirm that this shirt does the job it says it will.    

As I was completing my run and heading towards home I saw these men a couple houses down the road from my house but only saw the back of them and wondered why 4 police officers were heading into the neighbors home?  I came on home and only a couple minutes later they were knocking on my door.  I opened it to discover not policemen but a barbershop quartet doing a singing valentine delivery from my sweet husband.  What a delightful surprise!! They came on in with the wife of one of these men, Alayne Schlappi.  We talked for a few minutes before they sang to me and I discovered that I personally knew each one of these men.  The one on the left, Roger Schlappi, is in my ward.  The next one, Richard Loosli, is the husband of my very first piano teacher when I was 11 years old.  I also babysat for them.  The next one, Jim Keller, was a man that was in charge of a house Mark and I rented when we were a young married couple with two little kids.  The last one, Lee Gillman, was my bus driver when I was in junior high and high school.  What a small world, and an amazing connection. 

They proceeded to sing two songs to me.  The first one was "Let Me Call You Sweetheart".  I wished I would have been a little more on my toes and gotten the camera out for that familiar song but then this second song here in the video was very sweet as well.  I was touched that they would pick that particular song for me.  It talks about having a guardian angel on high with nothing to do but give me true love.  Brother Schlappi knows about the loss of our son Porter and picked that out special for me.  Thank you Roger Schlappi.

But most of all thanks to my dear husband for sending this delightful Singing Valentine to me this morning to help make me smile all morning long.  I love you Mark!♥

6 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

Ah...how AWESOME is that!?!

Unknown said...

How great is that?! So cute.

Alana said...

That's the coolest valentines gift ever. I need to get one of those under armor shirts you speak of, sounds delightful!

Jerilee E. said...

That is awesome! What a fun Valentine's gift! So creative :).

wendy said...

I wasn't able to play the video...said something about not available??
anyway, I am assuming it was the song TRUE LOVE>
me and my sister sang this song when we were very young at my aunts wedding....
then when HER daughter got married, me and my sister sang it at Her wedding.
It is kind of OUR song.

For you and I have a guardian angel
on high with nothing to do

(but we do know they are busy, but I am hoping at some point of their days, they are looking out for us...right?)

I love to hear about the "runs" people accomplish. I am 60, but I try and walk...POWER WALK..for 3 or 4 miles when I get out. I'll try and increase that as spring and summer come. I have really been working on my physical fitness...so hard sometimes.

Momma Twitch said...

That's awesome!! What a great Valentine. :)

The Really Big Free Marathon is a race down in Vegas. I first saw it on Facebook when my friend signed up. It's such a great concept. Check out their site, it'll tell you all about it. http://www.reallybigfreemarathon.com/ I'm excited to do it cause vary rarely can you find a race outside of Utah that's not on a Sunday.

Yeah!!! I'll have to keep an eye out for you at the AF Half and UV Half. Those are such great races. The AF one I ran last year and it was AWESOME! They did a great job considering it was their first.