Sunday, May 23, 2010

Porter's Headstone

Our oldest son, Cooper, was driving by the cemetery a couple days ago and decided to just look and see if Porter's headstone was put in the ground yet. He was eager to quickly send a text to us at home showing us a picture of it. The funeral home was supposed to let us know when it was completed but hadn't informed us yet. I was so glad that Cooper discovered it on his own. We quickly hopped in the car and headed up there to go see. I phoned my mom and dad who quickly joined us there.  We sat on the lawn for about an hour and talked about Porter, cried tears of sorrow, and longed to be with him.  We talked about who he was possibly with, who he was getting re-acquainted with and how busy he probably was.  Our good friend Dave also came up to see Porter's headstone.  His sweet wife, Pam, who died three years ago, is buried not far from Porter.  Their son, Brian, was another of Porter's very good friends.  We talked about the pain we still feel over Porter's loss and how it seems to get harder as time goes by.  Dave even admitted that the 2nd year was worse without his sweetheart, yet he gave us some comfort in sharing with us that the pain changes and it will get easier to bear.  
We washed the mud off of his headstone caused by the recent rainfall and admired the good work the monument company did in preparing this memorial piece.  Truly Porter "Your spirit rides on mountain peaks and You are home." 
Rose Marie and Del Ray-My wonderful parents!

I love you Porter ♥

10 comments:

LL said...

it's perfect!



I didn't realize he shared the same birthday as my brother who passed away.

Doran & Jody said...

It looks wonderful! I love the saying and graphics.

Hugs to you all!!

Have a blessed day! said...

It's beautiful Sue. What a wonderful surprise for Cooper to discover it. Thinking of you.

Hugs!

Jenny said...

It is wonderful, Love the guitar on it.

Shawn said...

Hey girl---sorry I haven't been around---the headstone is so beautiful and I feel so special that I got to see some of the ideas that you had for it---while you were here visiting. I think of you so often, my sweet friend and still grieve for your loss....

Love you.

Heatherlyn said...

It's really a beautiful headstone.

I'm glad that you have the support of your family!!!

Scott and Kristy said...

The headstone is very nice, I like it...I hope this becomes a place of comfort to you and your family.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Wow, it's beautiful. I love "you are home" at the bottom, so touching!

LyndiLou said...

It's perfect. It's so personal and sweet. You picked the perfect sentiments.

Keep being brave... we love you lots! *hugs*

alpinekleins said...

This actually brings tears to my eyes, we recently sat at the headstone of my nephew who was past away a year ago in a car accident at the age of 19. His headstone was beautiful and so appropriate for him, as is Porters. It turned out beautiful.

Kristin