Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jardine Juniper Hike in Logan Canyon

 June 16, 2012-My good friend Jody had a little hike up her sleeve planned and I wanted to go. Plus, this will mean it's her turn to come to my mountain and hike Timpanogos with me.  Next to running, hiking rates right up there with activities I enjoy.  I would have to say that hiking probably even surpasses running.  Because of my new goal with running a marathon in September I just wasn't sure when I would be able to hike on a Saturday because of my addiction to signing up for half marathons which are always on Saturdays and also because of scheduled long runs.  Well, Jody organized this right away on a Saturday I didn't have a race and so I jumped at the opportunity and headed up to Brigham City, bright and early at 5:30 a.m.  I got there at 7:00 a.m. and ate some oatmeal and pears and then we headed out the door.  We picked up her neighbors, Ben and Mary Beth, and their son Tanner and rode on up to Logan Canyon.
At the trail head getting ready to start our hiking-It's always fun to get a before picture.
 Even though this tree is completely dead looking I loved the color and the contrast against the greenery and the blue sky!
 About a mile into the hike
Enjoying the sun just coming over the peaks
 Ben, Tanner, Marybeth, Doran, me about 2 1/2 miles in.
 A slimy waterfall
 Loving this trail and looking so forward to running down it later!
Jody and Doran Shelley-some of the nicest people you will ever meet!
 Oh goodness!  Yes, I'm acting like a little smart alec!  Don't you love my big clown feet shoes?  They are the most awesome trail shoes ever. 
We made it to the top of the mountain but not quite to our destination yet.
 Twinner watches!  They are so sweet!
After 5.2 miles and a 1900 feet elevation change we made it to the Jardine Juniper tree that is supposed to be 1500 years old.
I didn't touch the tree, promise!  I only needed a picture to show proportion.
 All that's alive on this old thing is the very tippy top where there's a little bit of greenery hanging on. Kind of sad.
After you get done looking at the tree look over to the very right of the photo and see the road that continues on up to Bear Lake.  Yes, we are pretty high up.
 We were going to eat our lunch here but there was no shade, so after admiring the tree for a little bit we headed back on the trail to go search for a place to relax and eat.
 Oh this was a much better place.
 At this point it was time for me to say good-bye.  I had told Jody before we hiked that I had a 6 mile scheduled run for today and that I would be doing that going down the mountain.  So off I went and thoroughly enjoyed every moment running in this beautiful place.  Once I got to the bottom I had to run around a campground and the parking lot a few times to get my full mileage for the day which was A O.K. with me. 
This was an absolutely perfect, beautiful day and I always come away from being in nature so invigorated and refreshed and ready to go again.  I'm so glad I was able to spend some time with friends and enjoy something I love so much.
Thank you so much Jody and Doran for inviting me!

If you would like to know more about this old tree I am adding that here for you to enjoy.

Jardine Juniper is one of the oldest living things. It began life long before the pioneers entered Cache Valley, long before Jim Bridger and other mountain men lived here and possibly before the Shoshoni Indians inhabited the valley. It was once thought to be 3200 years old. Then in the 1950's a core sample was taken and the tree was found to be 1500 years old. 

Jardine Juniper was discovered in 1923 by Maurice Linford, also the year that the last grizzly bear in Utah was killed. In the 1870's something alarming happened to the Juniper. Its growth rate slowed by more than two-thirds. We don't know the cause for sure, but whatever happened brought a premature death to the Juniper. 

The Jardine Juniper is still alive, but barely. Jardine Juniper is taking longer to die than most humans live. If you are fortunate enough to see Jardine Juniper, you will notice that it is very sick and on the edge of life. Many people like to take this hike during the summer to see one of the oldest known living things on earth.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Absolutely beautiful pics! It's so gorgeous. I enjoy hiking, but there's really not many places to hike in Kansas City :( That's pretty cool/sad about the Juniper. Thanks for sharing though. I had no idea!

Unknown said...

I want to see that tree!! We have some Bristlecone Pine Trees north of here that are that old. It staggers my mind. This looks like an amazing hike! I have to see that this summer!

wendy said...

Wow, I did not know about that tree!!! It would be incredible to see. Don't you wish it could talk...and tell you all the things it has seen over all those many years!!!
What a great hike. I LOVE hiking. (as long as I don't have to worry to much about bears)

Jenny Lynn said...

The views in the photos are amazing. Looks like a great hike. I love going, but have not been yet this summer. Maybe soon.

Doran & Jody said...

What a great day!
I am SOOOO glad you came up!!

We will be down for the Timp hike this summer!

Love your guts!

Heatherlyn said...

Very cool. I enjoyed the information on the tree and all your great pictures. You do a wonderful job of documenting! I like hiking too and haven't done hardly any for so very very long. It's my favorite form of exercise!