Friday, January 6, 2012

IronMan Challenge-2 weeks

My blogging/facebook friend Loralee did an iron man challenge before Christmas and enjoyed it enough that she's doing it again right now.  She invited any of her blogging friends to join her, and who am I to turn down a challenge?  The challenge is to bike for 112 miles, swim for 2.4 miles and run for 26.2.  But not in one day.  That would be pure insanity.  I know there are people out there that do that and I highly applaud them.  Honestly I don't know how it would even be possible for me since it would take me over 5 hours to do just one of these events.  So anyway, she's giving us 2 weeks to complete the challenge and so here I go.  I started yesterday and will keep a running tally on my side bar of my progress. 

*yesterdays workout-biked 15 miles and swam 6 laps in the 50 meter pool
*today's workout-biked 16 miles, swam 14 laps, ran 1 mile.  I also walked 4 miles with my good friend Laurie.  
I will say that getting in a swimsuit and doing the swimming part of this challenge really intimidated me but I just covered myself really well and thought "who cares"?  I forgot goggles the first day which was definitely challenging so today's swim was better with goggles.  It's so cool to be able to open my eyes under water and see the long, blue tiled stripes on the pool floor and the depth of the pool and the lights on the side walls.  I really haven't been in a pool for many years and so this felt like a brand new adventure.
Target date to complete this challenge is January 19th, 2012
Any other blogging friends want to take on the challenge?  Let me know if you do and I'll cheer you on.

2 comments:

Loralee and the gang... said...

Good for you! You are doing great! I initially was not going to do the swim and do Tae Bo instead this time, but I realized that the swim ended up being my favorite part of the challenge. So today I did 8/10 of a mile. My first week is done, and I hit my goals. :-) It's fun, isn't it? But I still haven't done a half marathon like you have....

heather said...

Wow. Wow. Wow!

I know you'll do it. Probably with at least three days to spare! But, wow! YOU ARE SO AWESOME!