Friday, June 3, 2011

How My Brilliant Daughter Has Helped Simplify My Life

1) I have a genius daughter!  She has made my world a little easier by keeping me "in the know".  Every time we are out shopping and I pull out my checkbook to write a check she tells me I should just get a debit card.  Then, I just laugh it off and I say I don't want one.  Really, truly in my mind I was thinking of how scared I was to own one.  I didn't know how they worked and I thought my checkbook was going to get all messed up, so I just kept refusing to even entertain the thought.  Well, I don't know how my thoughts got turned around but I marched right into the bank and did the paperwork and got my very own debit card.  Can I just say how much I love it? I don't know why I fought it for so long?  My check writing has gone down substantially and it's pretty fun to swipe that little card in the machine.   

2) Another reason Kali is a genius is a few months ago she introduced me to a website called mapmyrun.com.  I have been in training for my half marathon for a few months now.  Well, a lot of my beginning runs were done on a treadmill during the cold winter months, but when it warmed up I would hop in the car and drive around different neighborhoods and figure out how many miles point A to point B was so I could then run outside.  I would come home and get out a piece of paper and write the street names down and have a reference for the next day.  One day she saw my piece of paper on the counter and asked if I was driving around to figure out my mileage and I told her I was.  She told me I didn't need to do that and to just get on the website and it would figure it all out for me.  Oh my goodness!!!  I owe Kali big time.  She has saved me so much time and more importantly so much gas money!

3)  One more cool recent discovery is my ipod has a stopwatch on it.  This has been so helpful on my runs because I don't like carrying my phone while running and trying to time myself with the clock on the wall in the house just wasn't working too well either.  I love new technology, or at least my awareness of it now.  I wonder what else is out there I'm missing out on?  

5 comments:

alpinekleins said...

BRAVO! Love to find little things that simply life and make it easier :) And what a sweetie your daughter is to keep you 'in the know'!

((hugs))

Kristin

Doran & Jody said...

SEE!!!! You CAN teach and old dog new tricks!!!

I'm learning all the time! :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

How is your half marathon training going?

Cynthia said...

I don't text. I know I should probably learn that skill now that my kids are getting older, but, well, I don't WANT to be accessible at any moment to anyone, you know? Heck, I don't even turn on my cheapo, pay-as-you-go cell phone half the time.

What makes me 'old' isn't that I don't really know HOW to text, but that I don't care to learn. Perhaps I should- I might end up feeling just like you do about it!

Lara Neves said...

Ooh, I'm glad I read this...I needed to know about mapmyrun, too! :)

My kids, who are really still quite young, teach me things about my phone and the computer. I can't believe how technologically savvy they are!

And how adorable is that Miles? :)