Sunday, July 18, 2010

Porter's Scriptures

In needing some healing moments I went into Porter's room and looked through his things.  Porter had two sets of scriptures.  His nicer set he used at church and his paperback Book of Mormon he read from at night in his bed.  We put one set in his hands in his casket and the other is still setting in his room.  
Upon opening his scriptures a paper fell out and this is what it reads:
Elder Rex D.Pinegar, then a member of the Presidency of the Seventy, said:  "Over the years the prophets have taught that at least twice a day, morning and evening, we should find a private place, kneel down, and pour out our hearts to our Father in Heaven.  Then, throughout the day, we can do our best to keep a prayer in our hearts.  As we do, if our hearts are right, we will find that our prayers have increased power and focus, and we'll discover that we're in a better position to receive answers"
Elder Gene R. Cook, a member of the Seventy, said:  "The peace God speaks to our minds will let us know when decisions we have made are right, when our course is true.  It can come as personal inspiration and guidance to assist us in our daily life-in our homes, in our work.  It can provide us with courage and hope to meet the challenges of life.  The miracle of prayer, to me, is that in the private, quiet chambers of our minds and hearts, God both hears and answers prayers."

These quotes are powerful, and I felt a lot of peace in reading them.  What I appreciated even more was the fact that this piece of paper was important enough to Porter for him to have it inside his scriptures.

I love you Porter♥

14 comments:

LL said...

such a tender photo!
And beautiful quotes, I needed the reminder today, thank you.

LyndiLou said...

Those are great quotes and what a nice way to find them. :)

Jenny said...

Those are very uplifting quotes. I am grateful that you shared them.

Have a blessed day! said...

Oh Susette, what an amazing find at a time when you needed Porter to speak to you. He did just that, through his scriptures. Cherish that paper, frame it, keep it safe. I know I just printed these quotes out because they were simply amazing reminders I need to see often.

hugs,
Jackie

Jacki said...

such powerful words and perhaps at a time when you needed them most.

Cynthia said...

It would seem that finding those quotes today was yet one more bit of proof that he sees us, he knows our pain and our needs and he will provide those answers. What a precious gift to receive today. May you continue to feel both the love of God and of your son in ways big and small.

And I really needed that last quote. While my struggles are small compared to the pain you are living with, I've been struggling nonetheless and I needed those words today too. I thank both you and Porter for them.

tiki_lady said...

even in death he is a great example to live by! what a great son.

Heatherlyn said...

I needed that reminder today, too! It's a powerful message. Thank you for this post!

Lady Rynn said...

I am very sorry for your loss, my friend. I was touched by your comment on my blog and I feel blessed & honored that Heavenly Father brought you to see the poem when perhaps you needed a little something extra at that moment. It was written for my cousin who died a a little over a month ago, as a way to comfort all my family when I could not be with them.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

What a wonderful tender mercy to find in his scriptures! WOW!

Beth at Aunties said...

These are beautiful quotes! What sweet mercies the Lord sends to us when we seem to need them the most.
Much love to you and your family!
~♥

Heatherlyn said...

I saw this quote a few days ago (maybe you already have seen it) and I thought of you: "Someone we love is now in heaven, so there is a little bit of heaven in our home."

Brenda said...

Blessings to you and your sweet family. Thank you for sharing your tender thoughts. His spirt is near you and embracing you.

alpinekleins said...

This is such a beautiful thought - and so wonderful that you by happenstance came across it. Very precious. So fun to meet you, thank you so much for coming to introduce yourself to me!

Love and hugs,

Kristin