Thursday, April 4, 2013

Scott Jurek Meet and Greet

Wasatch Running Center in Sandy, Utah held a really neat event for runners. I went to this meet and greet fully expecting to learn lots of awesome stuff about ultra running from Scott Jurek.  He was there to talk about his book "Eat and Run" and to answer questions.  He was interesting to listen to and I can't say I learned a lot to help me personally, but it was fun to meet such a great legend.

This is a little of what Wikipedia has to say about him:
Scott Gordon Jurek  (born October 26, 1973) is an American ultra-marathoner. Throughout Jurek's career he has been one of the most dominant ultra-marathon runners in the world, winning many of the sport's most prestigious races multiple times, including the Hardrock Hundred (2007), the Badwater Ultra-marathon (2005, 2006), the Spartathlon (2006, 2007, 2008), and the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run (1999-2005).  In 2010, at the 24-Hour World Championships in Brive-la-Gaillarde, France, Jurek won a silver medal and set a new US record for distance run in 24 hours with 165.7 miles.
  
So as you can see he has accomplished some pretty amazing things in his running career.  

But I'll be honest about my evening.  I had way more fun seeing friends whom I've met through running and blogging.  The whole night was filled with chatting, laughing and some great running talk.
When I first arrived I immediately saw this cute lady, Kathee, over at K-Fab Running.  She found my blog and began leaving happy thoughts and encouragement and it was fun to finally meet her in person. She runs a lot of relays and knows how to eat clean.  I could and should learn lots from her. 
Then in walked Cory and his darling sister Hollie.  Her and I have been texting and emailing back and forth for a few months now with us both vowing that someday we will run a race together and we will someday get to meet and visit in real life. Hollie was so concerned and sweet to cheer me up when I was so down about my Moab 24 hour run and had nothing but great words of wisdom.   She just paced her brother for 20 miles in the dark and freezing cold at the Antelope Island 100 mile race a couple weekends ago.  So she knows what it's like to be out there with the elements.
Cory is obviously a running legend and idol as well.  Anyone that runs 100 mile races and makes it seem like a breezy, walk in the park, ranks pretty high in my books.
The exciting news is I will finally get to run with Hollie!! She and I will be pacing the Winter Strider's Half Marathon this weekend for the 2:30 group.  It will be my first opportunity to pace and hers as well.  We will get to run side by side for 13.1 miles and for that I am extremely thrilled.
As we were standing around waiting for the line to dwindle to get to talk to Scott and take photos I had the opportunity to chat with this fun cute little lady, Melissa.  She actually works here at the Wasatch Running Center and is an awesome little runner herself.  She talks a lot about running and being a grandma on her blog.  She's got a lot of spunk and I enjoy her peppy personality.
Then I was so totally blown away when I saw these two guys, Carl and Joe.  Back in February I went to Moab and swept the 33K course down there and these two were at the back of the pack for awhile with one of their daughters.  The girl I was sweeping with and myself were having a good time visiting them and encouraging them but trying not to make them feel rushed as we cleaned flagging off the course.  Eventually they were out of sight and long gone as we came upon somebody really sick and slow.   But I was just happy to see them and say hello again.  Truly a small world at times in this running community.

I also saw Angie Pace and Galen Garrison who both ran the Corner Canyon Ultra 50K last year.  I failed to get photos with them but it was still fun to sit by them and visit.

Fun night of meeting Scott Jurek, but even more fun meeting up with running friends.  I don't think that's how it was supposed to be, just don't tell Scott k?

4 comments:

Kathee said...

Great fun!

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

So much fun! Why do most of my running blogging friends live in Utah so I never get to meet them! I have lots of WA running friends, but not very many of them blog.

mCat said...

So fun to see you!!! Hollie came in yesterday and great to see her too!

All in all, I think it was a great event. Scott was SO COOL! He stayed until every single person who wanted a picture or signature got it and he was kind and gracious about it. He even signed my Pure Grit's for me!

Great to see you cute lady!

Cory Reese said...

Awesome pictures! I think you're the legend after spending that many forsaken miles on the treadmill a few days beforehand.

Great to see you again.