Saturday, September 15, 2012

Marathon Training-Week 15 of 16

I just can't believe how close it's getting to the real deal!! MY FIRST MARATHON!!  I'm feeling good mentally and physically and ready for the marathon challenge.  Even though I ran an ultra race, my first 50K, back at the beginning of August I still don't feel like I can say I am a marathoner yet.  It just seems like two different titles to me.  So I am looking very forward to September 22nd and my first marathon!
Week #15
Monday September 10th-Ran 5 miles and walked 4 miles 
I just am not quite sure what I was thinking this morning.  I am supposed to be in taper mode.  I ran a new PR at my half marathon on Saturday, which was all down hill, and my body was still pretty sore this morning so I thought I would head up to the hills and run on the trails just up the road from me.  Well, I knew exactly once I got up there a certain out-and-back route was 3 miles.  So I thought I would walk to get there, run the mileage and then walk home.  Well, I walked up there but ended up running the out-and-back and all the way home.  So much for being sore, and tapering.  I probably should be a little more obedient to the training schedule.   
 
Tuesday September 11th-Rest Day Walked 3.50 Miles
with Laurie.  I was lacking a little bit of pep in my step today and couldn't seem to keep up with Laurie this morning.  After a couple miles I finally had to confess I was struggling and she slowed down for me. I know my body is still trying to recover from Saturday's all downhill race.

Wednesday September 12th-Ran 5 Trail Miles
When you toss and turn and have restless running dreams you should probably change your running plans for the morning, which I did. My good friend Laurie, who so faithfully walks with me on Tuesdays and Fridays, was so kind to change her morning plans and head out with me today on a Wednesday.  She is NOT a runner and vows she will never be but she accompanied me nicely on the trails today.  I ran and she power walked.  She occasionally ran and I was so proud of her! Thanks so much Laurie for your companionship today.
Getting some pepper spray is still in my thoughts and maybe my restless running dreams means it's time to get some pronto!
5
  Thursday September 13th-Walked 4 Miles
with Laurie.  I know I don't usually see Laurie two days in a row for exercise.  The plan was to go hiking on Friday and run some trails so I needed to switch the schedule up a little bit. 
 

Friday September 14th-Ran 3.25 Miles
I didn't meet up with the RA group and go hiking this morning so I headed out on the roads to get my mileage in.  It's kind of nice to be able to run a couple errands while doing so and save a little gas in the process. I have to confess that this tapering feels a little scary.  I know it's a tried and true training schedule I am following so I just have to trust the experts.  There really is a lot of power in a piece of paper telling me what to do.  Now if someone would just make a diet plan and tell me what to do I would love you forever.

Saturday September 15th-Ran 8.25 Miles

in Draper Canyon with some friends from the RA (runner's anonymous) group.  We had a blast up there in the hills and had to take a few detours since there was a huge bike race going on at the same time.  It was a bit crazy playing dodge from the bikes as they came flying down different stretches of the trail.  It all worked out fine in the end but there were a few scary moments here and there.  This was my final longest run until the marathon next Saturday.  It will feel very weird to me to follow the final 16th week of training with such low mileage on the agenda.  I will try very hard to be obedient!
Me, Elise, Kevin, Joshua, Angela


  Sunday September 16th-Day of Rest!!
Total Running Miles:  21.50
 Total Walking Miles:  11.50

12 comments:

Michael said...

Looks like you are totally ready to go! But, I have to say, I think an ultra is just a marathon plus.....while this might be your first race of 26.2 miles, it's not the first time you've done 26.2 so you are a marathoner!!!

Will Cooper said...

good luck out there and remember not to go out too fast. its always better to pass people the second half than to be passed. enjoy!

Unknown said...

I'm excited for you! You have worked so hard to be ready for this and I know you'll do great!

Heatherlyn said...

That top picture is a GREAT picture!!! It looks like you are going to be so ready for this upcoming marathon!!! :)

Cory Reese said...

I am so excited for you! You have worked so hard and the big day is almost here. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

I TOTALLY agree with Will - start more conservative than you want to. Much better at the end to be passing than be passed.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doran & Jody said...

I'm so proud of you and I don't know anyone more committed to training "just like the paper says".

You will do AWESOME I have no doubt!

We will be cheering for you!!!

Jen said...

Good luck this weekend! I'm so excited for you! You have been amazing during this training and I can't think of anyone who deserves a great race more than you! I'm excited to see you surprise yourself!

"This is Living" said...

Good Luck youll do great! Cant wait to hear about it. My husband is from Provo lots of family there so we are up that way alot, for sure! would love to run together have yet to do the trail running thing but would love to experience it.

Hollie said...

As two gals preparing for our first marathons at the same time, you are totally my inspiration! I am so excited for your race this weekend. Trust your training - you're going to rock it!!

And after that, let's find some time to take a nice easy recovery run togehter. :) I'd love to hear all your thoughts and details about the experience before I run my first marathon in a few weeks.

Best of luck this weekend - I'm so excited for you!!

susette said...

Hoooooolllllieee!!!!! Hi new friend!!!! I would love to go on a run with you!! Let's do it!! You have no blog or facebook. How in the world am I supposed to get a hold of you??

Hollie said...

Hooray! I'm so excited to do a run together - really looking forward to hearing all the adventures you encounter this weekend!

I have no blog or Facebook. I know, I might as well live in a cave, huh? I'll send you an email so we can be in touch! :)

Unknown said...

I like the pace that you followed during the whole training period. It really pays to slowly increase the pace rather than finding out what your limit is the hard way, which in the end can be detrimental to your health rather than help it.

Paul @ VestPac