Saturday, April 7, 2012

One Week/Weak Later

(Pictures are a little gross so don't scroll down if you have a queasy stomach)


It's been exactly one week ago today that I went on this fun, yet crazy adventure of running/walking 46 miles.
I'm not posting this for any sympathy. It's strictly for my own learning purposes for when I decide to do something like this again. Clearly, I chose this crazy adventure all on my own.  I guess I would be stupid to think I wouldn't have aches and pains.  What surprises me most though is I thought the residual muscle pain was going to be the worst part and that I wouldn't be able to walk for days. Yet, that was the easy part in comparison to the following.  I've tried not to complain too much or too loudly over the past week but I did learn a few valuable lessons.

 #1 WEAR SUNSCREEN
It's been a full week of non-stop aloe vera and also spraying vinegar on my legs, yet they are still sore, red and blistered and now peeling.  I can't wait for the itch to start!!

#2 IF MY TOE STARTS TO GO A LITTLE BIT NUMB CHANGE MY SHOES SOONER.
Yes, I'm a little concerned about losing this toenail. I've never experienced this kind of toenail pain so I'm just waiting to see what's going to happen.   

#3 WHAT MAY FEEL LIKE A ROCK IN MY SHOE REALLY ISN'T. PUT ON A BANDAID OR SOME MOLESKIN PRONTO!
Blisters are the least of my worry but it's there and it's a nuisance.

With all that being said I was able to get a few workouts in starting on Thursday, five days after my adventure.  And believe me, I was chomping at the bit to get out there.  

*Thursday I ran 1 mile and did 60 minutes on the stair climber
*Friday I ran 2 1/2 miles and walked 1 mile on the treadmill
*Saturday I ran 3 miles and walked 1/2 a mile and did 60 minutes on the stair climber

I'm slowly working back up my mileage.  I've got the Thanksgiving Gardens Half Marathon coming up in just 3 weeks and hope to be completely healed up in time for that.  

8 comments:

Cory Reese said...

Um.....ouch. Your feet look positively miserable. I forgot sunscreen during my last long race and it felt like my skin was on fire for about a week.

Get feeling better soon!

wendy said...

You certainly are carrying some battle wounds girl!!!! OUCH
I hate sunburns, and blisters and....well pain in general (tee,hee)
I still can't believe you walked 46 miles !!!!

Jenny Lynn said...

Yikes! really home your feet are doing better now. Sunburns are the worse no matter where you get them.

Heatherlyn said...

Oh you poor thing! Hopefully someone will read this and save themselves some pain if they ever take a long long long crazy long run/walk! You are amazing!

Cynthia said...

A sunburn on the back of the knees is the WORST! I am sorry you're paying that physical price but glad you're still thrilled with the accomplishment- as well you should be!

Doran & Jody said...

Oh for ouchsakes!!
You are an SHEra!!

Jen said...

Holy cow, girl! You are awesome! I wanted to run 37 miles on my 37th birthday this year and injured myself in the process. Next year! I hope I can learn a little from your experience! That toenail probably isn't going to hang on much longer!

Launi said...

Ummm...Susette....
Maybe I have no business asking this but...should you be doing another run so soon, when your feet are clearly not enjoying the experience? I'm not one of the running set, so I wouldn't know what's normal, and what's not, but if one of my kids came home with feet that sore from dancing or football or track, they would be done until it was completely healed and then only if we could keep that from happening again. You be careful my friend. You need those feet for a while yet. Love you.