Friday, February 4, 2011

How a Stranger Made My Day

The death of a loved one brings about thoughts, plans, and purchases in an area you may not normally think about.  I now own 3 pieces of real estate up on the side of the hill in the cemetery.  I wish I didn't.  It's only because having to buy a plot for Porter meant that me and Mark would want to be buried by him when we pass on ourselves.  The city is very nice in that they give you a year to pay off your plots.  So now Mark and I have been thinking about life insurance and have been checking out rates and plans.  Well, a couple weeks ago a nurse (the complete stranger) came to our home.  She had to do a thorough evaluation, and take our blood, etc. to approve us.  Well, she was working on Mark first and when I came down to the kitchen I panicked when I saw the scale setting there on the floor.  I HATE scales.  When it was my turn I asked her if I really had to get on that thing?  She said yes but that she had set it back a couple pounds.  Then, when she weighed me she took off two more pounds.  Then she had to check my height and for entire adult life I have been 5 feet 5 inches.  Well, she measured me at 5'6", and I told her that was wrong so she did it again and came up with the same thing.  I didn't argue.  Who wouldn't want to be TALLER and THINNER??  I don't even know this lady's name, my but she made my day and now she is my new best friend! 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It's all that "growing" you've had to do this year. :)

Brenda said...

What a sweet little surprise. I would be jumping for joy too!
I agree with Dixie Mom. :D

Happy Anniversary!
Love, Brenda

Beth at Aunties said...

It seems when life changes happen, so do our priorities. We too are setting up a trust, getting our plots so it will be easier for our family. Your piece of real estate looks so beautiful & peaceful.
Our life insurance is solid right now.( Thanks to church employment:)

I am glad you enjoyed a sweet surprise with all that growth. :)
I too wanted to wish you a Happy 26th anniversary!

LL said...

I want a friend like that. You are FUNNY!
You're gorgeous and so thin, why on earth would you worry about the scale?

tiki_lady said...

Could u plz send her my way??

Cynthia said...

Girl, if I could get on a scale that would make me the same weight as your REAL weight, I'd be doing the happy dance! You look gorgeous!

I love that cemetary. Sadly, I will be there tomorrow when one of my best girlfriends and her family bury their youngest daughter, Angelia, who is just 3 years old. They knew when they adopted her that her time here would be short given her severe disabilities but they took her into their hearts and loved her- even knowing that the event taking place tomorrow was a guarantee. Even as parents who had previously buried 2 other children.

I'll look for Porter tomorrow- if I can see through my own tears for my friend and her family who have lost so much.

Jen said...

I would want that nurse as my new best friend, too! Everyone always thinks I am 5'8, but I'm only 5'7". Each time I go into the doctor, I am always measure at 5'7". Must be my long legs that make me look taller. But I'll take it if it means I look thinner! Ha. You have had a tough time. When such events happen in our lives, it does put things in the forefront that we haven't had to consider before--like buying burial plots, life insurance, etc. When my husband was going through his cancer treatments, we were doing similar things...writing out a will, etc. I love the headstone you chose for Porter with the mountains and guitar and the saying you have above and below. Very beautiful. You're a great lady, mother and wife!

tammy said...

I hate it when the nurses weighing you are skinny. Why can't they all be fatter than us? At my doctor's office, weighing is optional. I love him.

Launi said...

You--my dear--are so silly. You are, and have always been beautiful. You could stomp on that scale and it couldn't possibly hurt you. I wish somehow, that I could help you see that.
I love you my friend.

Doran & Jody said...

I also want that nurse to come see me!

When dad passed away we bought three "real estate" properties. I could not think of dad to be there by himself. So we will be by him when our time comes.

Jenny Lynn said...

When can she bring her scale to my house.

Lara Neves said...

Woo hoo! I am in love with her! The nurse that came to my house to do our measurements for life insurance was not so forgiving!