Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Labor Day Hike With Friends

I have mentioned multiple times that I walk three times a week with my good friend, Laurie. (dressed in maroon).  We head out after her kids get out the door to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  Well, Monday, September 2nd, it was Labor Day and I thought it would be fun to go hiking in the hills that are close to home instead of walking our usual route.  We also invited our other good buddy, Annaleesa, to join us since she got the day off from work.  Laurie also got her daughter, Kirsten to join us ladies.  That's pretty awesome to get up early on a day off of school.  I'm pretty sure when I was a teenager and got the opportunity to sleep in there was no way I was getting up early to go hiking with a bunch of old ladies.  We met at 8:30 am and headed just a short distance up the road.   

This is called Dry Canyon and is a special place for me.  It's the last hike that Porter took before he fell from that cliff in the background.  It's also a sad place for me, yet it also brings comfort to hike here because I know Porter loved it so much and I often wonder if he visits this place.  I like to think he does.
Of course each time I come here I have to hike up to the base of the cliff to find his special rock we planted there 3 years ago. Yep, it's still there.  I'm so glad other hikers and rock climbers are respectful of it and leave it in its place.
Kirsten and Annaleesa sat down and relaxed as me and Laurie hiked to the rock.  It's a little challenging to get to but very worth the views.

As we continued climbing up the trail Kirsten got a little sick and decided to head back down and call her dad to come pick her up.  We three ladies continued on up higher so we could get a somewhat decent workout for the morning.  I totally forgot my garmin so I had no idea how far we traveled or how many calories burned but I was just happy to be out in the hills soaking up the beauty and being with 2 of my very dearest friends.
Then it was time to turn around and get back to the car.  It wasn't a long hike but it was a very beautiful and pleasant one.  I definitely need to do this again soon.  I forget how much I love it and how much I need to be out on the trails in nature. 

3 comments:

Michael said...

The memorial rock is really nice. It is great that people have been so respectful and that it's stayed in place for three years. I can't imagine losing a son, but I can definitely see where you would feel close to him by visiting the trails again. Beautiful post.

Renee said...

Lovely! I really like the memorial rock & am glad no one has messed with it.

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!

Like you I find myself wondering what the high school version of myself would think of my current self never sleeping in and instead doing awesome things like hiking and running.